Wednesday, June 22, 2005

clothes I have loved

I had the idea a while ago to write a memoir of some clothes and accessoires that I have known and loved in my time. These are all departed from my life now, and so I miss them and sometimes think of them. Not all of them appear in photos of my good self, and so for a lot of them, they have to live on in my memory.

childhood

- lime-green, v-knee colonial jeans

- t-shirt with my name printed on it

- my dolly cut [ok, not clothes or accessory, but still a fashion statement and much mourned]

- denim runners [methinks there was some sort of orange trim as well]

- brown, checked miller shirt [with pearl buttons]


teen years

- treads - they were pale and navy blue, and were really heavy to wear around the Royal Melbourne Show when I was about 12

- slats - these were cane-soled "thongs" which were square and cluncky and the toe strap piece was covered in black velour. so 1975.

during the '80s

- emerald green mohair cardigan

- black, suede floppy duran duran ankle boots

- pink floral pink cross-over "housecoat" dress [loved that so much, still want it now]

- bright orange cotton knit baggy jumper [button neck] teamed with lime-green, tight baseball style pants with PADDED KNEES

- bali shirt, purples, pinks, maroons and greens batik-y print. Wore it and wore it. Cost about $4. Then my sister wore it and wore it. Wonder if she still has it? The colours NEVER faded either. tres amazant.

- fake placcy-leather type cowboy boots that I inherited from my mum. They were well worn when I got custody, then I wore them and wore them. They smelt like shit and so did my feet when they'd been in them

adult - early '90s

- black shirt with cut glass buttons, really large lapels and cuffs

- white, high-heeled shoes, with laces [it was in japan - that's my excuse. an OL wannabe]

I might add to this list as things come up, but my biggest clothing or accessoire regret is a fine red wool dress that my mum gave me. It had been hers from the '70s and it had the best neckline and the red was just perfect [red is my colour you know] and the only thing was it was too long [like floorlength almost] so she let me have it taken up and i took it to japan, and then a friend brought it back here to Aus for me [to help me, so i didn't have to carry heaps of stuff, nor send too much] and it... never... made... it. My mum was really upset and disappointed in me, and that upset me. As it was months if not more than a year before i was able to talk to the friend, and my memory is so bad, it was never established what happened to it.

enough said.

hot water bottles next time...

2 comments:

la nadine said...

black, suede floppy duran duran ankle boots

wow, they're my favourite things NOW. and i'm not even having a personal 80s revival.

p.s. i'm liking what i'm reading. nice blog, kind lady.

Melba said...

thanks la nadine, you have made my day

x